Silverorange is a design and development agency based in Canada that focuses on meaningful projects. Over our 21 years as a company, we’ve worked with well-known technology organizations like Duolingo and Mozilla, not-for-profit organizations connecting Canadians to arts funding or more affordable internet access, and with world-renowned doctors training other doctors through online education.
Within the next 6 months, our team will grow from 21 to 25 people. We are committed to fostering a team focused on quality of life, openness, empathy, and a supportive work environment, as well as building sustainable, user-focused systems.
We’re looking for an experienced Native App Developer to join our team. You’ll start your silverorange career focused on a medical education client, forming a team with our lead app developer. You’ll help maintain existing widely used Android and iOS native apps, as well as contribute to planning and implementing new features.
Applications will be accepted until January 15th 2021, at which point we’ll be in touch with anyone who has applied. This position is available immediately and we will work with you to get you started as soon as possible.
Growth & ownership
Our team is co-operative and will help you learn and expand your skills via mentoring, team-wide support, and learning opportunities. Members of our team are encouraged to grow as individual contributors, and are given opportunities for project and team leadership. Rather than simply counting years of experience, we value applicants with a sense of pride and ownership in their own work, and who are excited to learn and contribute.
We’re excited to hear your fresh ideas and approaches to the problems we face. Our team has decades of collective experience, and we continue to become better at what we do by teaching and learning from each other.
Opportunity for employee ownership is a fundamental part of silverorange (non-founders currently own more than a third of the company) and we are working on new ways to transfer even more ownership to employees.
Inclusion & diversity
People with different backgrounds and experiences make us stronger, and we’re always looking for ways to improve. Our team is getting more diverse across many dimensions of diversity, but we’re still missing perspectives that could make our work better. We highly encourage people from traditionally underrepresented groups in our industry to apply—we want to add your voice to the mix.
- Implementing features and improvements on a Kotlin-based Android app and an Objective-C and Swift based iOS app.
- Reviewing code and content changes from other developers on iOS and Android projects.
- Communicating with team members and clients to understand and balance requirements.
- Identifying and helping to address technical design issues in apps.
- Writing tests for your work.
- Be a resident of, and available to work from Canada.
- Be able to quickly learn and understand new systems.
- Have experience with Kotlin and/or Java, Objective-C and/or Swift.
- Have experience with the release process on the App Store and Google Play
- Have experience developing reasonably complex integrated systems.
- Have worked on projects with a team of developers.
- Be able to communicate clearly with clients and co-workers across multiple time zones. Several of our key clients are in California and we have team members in PEI, Nova Scotia, Quebec, Alberta, BC, and Ecuador.
While not required, if you have any of the following skills let us know:
- Experience with testing and continuous integration processes.
- User interface and interaction design experience.
- Gradle / R8 experience in Android development.
- Working with media playback and data synchronization
- Working with Google Cloud Firestore's Firebase product.
- Project or product leadership experience in any profession or industry.
- React Native development experience.
- Elasticsearch querying and indexing.
- TypeScript experience.
Remote working is just as good as local
Our team has been remote-friendly for 20 years, and remote-first for the last 6. We continue to improve our approach to having a distributed team. Due to COVID-19 this position will start as full-time remote regardless of location, though you are welcome to work from our lovely offices in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada once they are re-opened.
Almost half of our team is full-time remote and 95% of our clients are remote. You’ll need to be comfortable working with remote clients and co-workers regardless of your location. Regular voice or video communication will help keep you in touch with the smart people with whom you’ll be working.
Typically all employees spend at least one week each year working from our Charlottetown office so plan on visiting PEI semi-regularly once travel is considered safer.
Benefits & compensation
- Flexible work days, approached collaboratively with you to allow for the realities of appointments, family minding, and your everyday life.
- 3 weeks of paid vacation, on top of 9 paid days of civic holidays, and 3 weeks of paid company-wide shut down.
- Generous health and dental coverage, with 100% of premium covered by silverorange.
- New computer hardware every 3 years, and other tools as needed.
- Yearly company-wide bonuses based on overall company success, plus ownership opportunities and dividends for long-term employees.
- Salary starting at CAD $58-62,000 per year depending on experience, with opportunities and expectation of career and compensation growth.
- Additional remote worker stipend of CAD $3,000 per year and a wellness stipend of $500 per year.
How to apply
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Native App Developer”, a brief overview of your qualifications, links to relevant examples of recent work (GitHub or an equivalent profile is a great place to start), and an explanation of why you’d be great for the job. Tell us about an interesting project you’ve worked on or helped ship. We value individuality and variety, so make sure to tell us what you’re all about. If you have an online presence that you’re comfortable sharing—such as a blog, Twitter, etc—send it along.